Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I've Got 99 Problems... and I am the Solution!

Until very recently, I was a business systems analyst (BSA) at a large financial services company. In changing career paths, I have noticed that application developers have to think very differently from BSAs.

Typically, a BSA's role is all about requirements, details, and approvals. Some problem solving is required, but a BSA's problems tend to center around people. In that position, I was always reasonably confident that the answer was out there. I was also pretty good at knowing how to find it.

As a developer, I am finding that sometimes, the answer isn't out there. My job is to create the answer, not document one that already exists. This is simultaneously my favorite and my least favorite part about my new role as a programmer.

Very little frustrates me as much as attempting something that should be simple -- such as getting my code to compile -- and running into wall after wall without any success.

And very little is more exhilarating than finding an elegant solution to a difficult problem.

Despite the occasional moments of wanting to bash my head against the wall, I think I'm going to like this job. It's a fun change to be the one creating answers instead of the one who records them.

No comments:

Post a Comment